Thursday, October 31, 2013

MicroAquarium observation #3

Samuel Koeshall
BIOL 111 Lab
Rebecca Wilson
October 31, 2013

MicroAquarium observation #3

Today's observation was very exciting and insightful into the workings of my micro aquarium this week. As usual, I obtained my micro aquarium from the storage container and seated myself at one of the microscopes with a computer input for media recording. As soon as I carefully placed the micro aquarium underneath the microscope, I immediately noticed an increase in activity. The increased activity was due to the presence of a Beta Food pellet that was placed in my micro aquarium by Dr. McFarland and is made by and contains the following ingredients: "Atison's Betta Food" made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americas, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104. Ingredients: Fish meal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives. Analysis: Crude Protein 36%; Crude fat 4.5%; Crude Fiber 3.5%; Moisture 8% and Ash 15% (McFarland, 2013). I noticed the most activity in the center section section of the micro aquarium around the Beta Food Pellet especially. Compared to last week, the organisms have increased in movement after the feed pellet was placed in the micro aquarium. There were also rarely in organisms in the bottom or top sections of the micro aquarium. Of the organisms that I viewed, all of them were single celled organisms. There were 3 organisms that I viewed in quantity to be in my micro aquarium.

Again, I viewed Colpidium sp. in great numbers and actively feeding on the food pellet. These organisms had multiplied compared to my last viewing. They also were moving much faster after the food pellet was inserted into the micro aquarium. 

A new organism I viewed this week was Perenema sp. which appeared to be in a large number. These organisms squirm actively when they are moving, especially as they feed. They have a front flagellum that is important to their transportation and is very strongly developed. 

The last organism that I viewed also that was new is Anabaena sp. which is a form of Cynobacteria. They are extremely small and are stick like in their appearance. They have a oval akinete and a black, round tip.
Photo 1

As I conclude, I am interested in the progression that my micro aquarium takes as the population of organisms has rapidly increased and what organism(s) seem to be dominate in the micro aquarium in the following weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment