Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Micro Aquarium Observation #5

Samuel Koeshall
BIOL 111 Lab
Rebecca Wilson
November 12, 2013

Micro Aquarium Observation #5

As this is my last time to view my micro aquarium, it has been quite an adventure seeing the progression of my term project and the organisms that I have viewed in it. On this cold, nippy Tuesday afternoon, I obtained my micro aquarium from the storage container and choose a microscope with computer peripherals. As I took the bottom and top off of my micro aquarium to place it on the microscope, I noticed a mosquito larvae at the top of my micro aquarium. I then remembered the midge that I had discovered during last weeks viewing. This was so exciting to see the progression of a creature that I had viewed in such a different form. After my first discovery, I then began to view my micro aquarium beginning at the bottom section. Most of the single celled organism activity was located at the bottom of the micro aquarium. In comparison to past viewings of the micro aquarium, there were very few organisms in the micro aquarium. I also noticed that the cells had slowed down in their movement as their food supply had diminished. I viewed two different organisms today that appeared in a adequate number. They were Entosiphon sp. and Peranema sp., which are ciliates.

The Entosiphon sp. has two different flagella. One trails the body and the other leads as a anchor. It also has a flap like opening at its anterior end. This was one of the larger organisms I viewed during this term project. Below is a picture detailing this organism.

Photo 1

The next organism I viewed was Peranema sp. This was also one of the larger organisms I viewed during my term project. This organism has one, large, broad flagellum and instead of swimming it glides around the water. Below is picture of this organism. 

Photo 2

I have completely enjoyed my opportunity to share this experience with you while I studied this ecosystem I created in my micro aquarium.


No comments:

Post a Comment